Calling this a ‘daily’ makeup routine may be fairly generous considering that more often than not I am far too busy (okay, I mean lazy) to apply anything more than BB cream, blusher and a bit of mascara.. But on the days that I want to glam myself up, this is my go-to makeup routine:
- All the best makeup looks begin with a good base, and I don’t mean foundation, I’m talking skin. Make sure your face is exfoliated, clean and mositurised before you apply anything! Check out My Skincare Routine.
- When my skin is prepped, I apply a primer. I’m currently using Baby Skin Pore Eraser by Maybelline as it does what it says on the tin, without breaking the bank. I also prep my lips with lip balm to ease lipstick application; I love Vaseline (cocoa and rose are my personal favourites) and Burt’s Bees Lip Balm in peppermint.
- Next, I dab Clinique‘s Beyond Perfecting Foundation + Concealer onto my face using the wand applicator, before going in with a damp beauty blender to ensure I’ve got full coverage across my face and neck.
- After leaving my foundation to dry for a few minutes, I use an eyeshadow brush (forgive me, I’m no makeup expert, but it works for me) to apply Maybelline New York‘s CoverStick concealer under my eyes and over any blemishes that are still visible through the foundation.
- To set all of this, I use a setting powder from Vichy‘s Dermablend collection. Although the powder comes with its own sponge, I choose to use a brush – by Urban Decay – to sweep the powder evenly over my face and avoid using too much product.
- So as to reclaim the dimensions of my face (or at least to give the impression that I had any in the first place), I contour my cheekbones, forehead, nose and jawline using Master Sculpt by Maybelline New York before adding a pop of colour to my cheeks, courtesy of The Body Shop in the shade ‘Macaroon’. I then sweep the highlight, using a Real Techniques brush, from the aforementioned Master Sculpt above my cheekbones (ha), below my brows, on my forehead & chin and (after lip makeup, of course) on my Cupid’s bow.
- I then move onto the tricky stuff: brows, lashes and lids. For all you makeup pros, this is probably child’s play – I’m not quite there yet. As my brows are naturally very dark, I play it safe, outlining and filling them in using Almay‘s Eyebrow Pencil. I then use The Nudes eyeshadow palette on my lids, yet another product by Maybelline New York! Me and eyeliner are not friends, so the next step for me is mascara Glam’eyes Day 2 Night by Rimmel London.
- Finally, I apply a few coats of Rimmel London‘s Lasting Finish Lipstick (usually in the shade Birthday Suit!) before setting the entire makeup look with a setting spray.
That’s everything! I like to keep my day to day makeup affordable as I have to buy the products more frequently than others that I would use on more special occasions. If you have any questions or would like to know more about any of the products, just let me know in the comments!
If you know that any of these brands test on animals, please inform me as I would like to stop using any brands involved in cruelty towards animals.
What products do you use in your daily makeup routine?